Tashi Kyil Monastery

mark_png

A Brief History of the Tashi Kyil Monastery

1958

Labrang Tashi Kyil, located in Amdo (eastern Tibet), a great monastic center and wellspring of the Buddha’s teachings, was destroyed in 1958 when the Chinese Communist army invaded and unlawfully occupied the land of Tibet.

Through the force of prayers, led and blessed by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, manifestation of the noble Chenrezig, the Buddha’s teachings rekindled from ashes, and the Labrang Tashi Kyil monastery in Tibet re-erected after the Chinese Cultural Revolution had ended.

1959

After the 1959 Tibetan Uprising, thousands of Tibetans followed the Dalai Lama into India, where the Sangha, Temples, and Dharma educational programs were re-established. There arose a new era of upholding, protecting, and spreading Buddhist teachings.

Alag Changdzo Kenpo (master of Kalachakra astrology), Akhu Lodro, Sodrag Jigme, and Gengya Lobsang, led by Venerable Gungthang Tsultrim, agreed to share the main responsibilities of building a refugee monastery in Dehradun, India.

1967

Built in 1967, Tashi Kyil Monastery in Clement Town replaces the Labrang Tashi Kyil.

Tashi Kyil Monastery has since continued its chanting styles, rituals and practices, and order of the self-initiation and sadhanas as they had been at the Mejung Thosamling College of the Labrang Tashi Kyil in Amdo.

1995

In 1995, teachers arrived at Tashi Kyil Monastery from Drepung Gomang, another Gelugpa Monastery in exile.

Today

Monks pursue the studying of major philosophical treatises, up to Madhyamaka and Paramita, with great effort and single-pointed attention.

In addition to the study of Dharma, which is the primary focus, monks receive education in Tibetan grammar and English.

Currently over 120 monks live and study at Tashi Kyil Monastery, observing monastics rules and conduct, and respected by the local community.